In 1889, Alfred Harrison “A.H.” Rogers (1858-1920) started a railway system between Webb City and Carterville pulled by mules. After 1893, the system was electrified. It continued until late summer of 1935 for Carthage, and 1940 for other communities. The clubhouse was constructed for officials and employees.
The A.H. Rogers House is in the Murphysburg Historic District at 623 W. Fourth Street and is currently being restored by Joplin Historical Neighborhoods, Inc.
Charlie22 Outdoor’s mission is to provide outdoor activities to the nation’s veterans and their families. For more information, contact Scotty Rae Hettinger at (417) 437-7247 or charlie22outdoors.com.
Following are excerpts from the Joplin History & Mineral Museum calendar published in 2021: Originally, the first floor was divided into a pool room, a gymnasium that was also used for large social groups, a locker room, a dressing room, toilets, and shower baths. The second floor housed the clubrooms, complete with a kitchen and dining area. The clubrooms were used for reading, writing, card playing, social entertainments, banquets, and to conduct business meetings. The third floor consisted of two dormitories, where a bed could be rented by the day or week. The facility was possibly best remembered for the elaborate employee banquets.