Currently: Joplin City Hall
602 S. Main Street | Chicago Style | circa 1910
The Newman Mercantile Company was founded by Jewish merchant Joseph Newman, who
emigrated from Germany in the mid-19th century. Joseph Newman’s sons Albert and Sol, and
son-in-law, Gabe Newburger were all involved in the company. Albert, Sol, Gabe, and their
families all lived in what is now the Murphysburg Historic District. The Albert Newman House
still stands at 130 S. Moffet Avenue and the A.B. McConnel/Sol Newman House still stands at
115 S. Moffet. Extreme deterioration of Gabe’s house at 110 S. Moffet caused it to be razed in
After Newman Brothers moved into the newly built Northpark Mall in 1972, the building had
many different businesses and owners, and fought off threats of demolition.
restored and renovated in 1995 with 5 million dollars (of ill-gotten gains) by two so-called
“financial advisors.” In 2003, the City of Joplin purchased the building, investing 3 million
dollars in additional renovations thus creating present day City Hall. The Thomas Hart Benton
mural, Joplin at the Turn of the Century, was moved here from the Municipal Building and
hangs prominently in the lobby above the elevators.
During construction, Austin Allen and Walter Arcularius, of the Joplin Hardware Company,
were standing on a cement beam on the fourth floor when it suddenly collapsed, and the men fell
15 feet onto the third floor! Both men escaped with slight injuries and were taken to their
respective homes. Insufficient strength of the support timbers on the third floor was believed to
have caused the accident.