Currently: Old Elks Club Office Building
The Elks Club/Lodge was an important part of the business, social, and philanthropic lives of
many men who established their homes in what we now call the Murphysburg Historic District.
Some of the wives also sat on sub-committees for grand balls and charity fairs. In 1910 several
wives were involved in the infamous baby auction- – -but that’s a story for another time!
This brick and stone building features a columned portico flanked by two slightly projecting bays
accentuated by limestone quoins. The first floor featured an Oriental-inspired lobby, billiard
room, reading room, card rooms, a social function room, kitchen and serving rooms. Sleeping
quarters, lodge hall, and bathrooms occupied the second floor. The basement housed a four-
lane bowling alley, gymnasium, Turkish bath, lockers, and storage rooms.