2023 ACCOMPLISHMENTS & ACTIVITIES
JANUARY : For an understanding of the future, look to the past
Continued the distribution of the coloring book, Coloring JOMO: Women Who Made Their Mark, walking tour brochures, and hand illustrated maps. Continued research on original and or significant owners of Murphysburg houses. Received Visit Joplin (formerly known as Joplin Convention & Visitors Bureau) grant funding for HMP website updates.
MARCH: Bring to light often overlooked history
HMP promoted Women’s History Month by featuring two (unrelated) women that lived at 101 N. Sergeant in the early 1940s to late 1950s. Mary Kirk Kelly, as a professor at Joplin Junior College, started Model United Nations for students. They would travel to regional and national simulations which continues today; after retirement she became an internationally known ceramic artist. Dora Kneeland invented what came to be known as Williams Chili Seasoning and her son-in-law produced it in the garage before moving the operation to Webb City
APRIL: We envisioned new projects
Completed research on the Pearl Brothers House (101 S. Moffet) and requested a local historic marker sign. Continued advocacy for the rehabilitation or abatement of apartments at 117-121 S. Byers (built in May 1950) through direct conversations with Tyler Casey with ProX Management and City officials. Represented HMP at the Spring meeting of Missouri Route 66 Association and the Visit Joplin Tourism Connection regional meeting.
MAY: Bring awareness to underrepresented communities
Partnered with Downtown Joplin Alliance’s Loft Tour. Presentation to City Council asking for historic street name signs. Provided Mt. Hope Cemetery with QR codes for 50 original Murphysburg residents interred at the cemetery. Staffed a booth at DJA’s Third Thursday.
JUNE: The impact you helped make possible
Represented HMP at the annual Missouri Preservation Conference held in Joplin.
JULY: We advocated for
Partnered with the Scottish Rite Cathedral to commemorate the 100th Anniversary of the building.
AUGUST : Promote heritage tourism
Facilitated a feature story & photographs of Murphysburg walking tour in the 417 Magazine.
OCTOBER: Benefitting from new energy
Hosted the annual membership appreciation meeting at the Cornell Complex with guest speaker Neely Meyers, Science Center Creative Learning Alliance director.
NOVEMBER: Home for the holidays…in Murphysburg
Installed Christmas Wreaths on Murphysburg District utility poles. Monitored HMP’s “Giving Tuesday” donation website. Guest appearance on MSSU TV Newsmaker show.
- Manage Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Mail Chimp, HMP website, liability insurance, storage unit, and more.
- Manage communications, inquiries about houses for sale, Joplin history & media inquiries.
- Conduct historical research using Ancestry.com, Find-a-Grave, Newspapers.com, etc.
- Interface with North Heights Neighborhood Group, Downtown Joplin Alliance, City of Joplin, Joplin Historical Neighborhoods, Inc., Connect 2 Culture, Bluehaven Homes & Bykota, REI (the Olivia Apartments) and many other community organizations/projects.
- Welcomed new Murphysburg homeowners with historical documentation on their house and general HMP membership information.