Both Peter Schnur (1845-1906) and Adeline Coffeen Schnur (1846-1922) were known as
Joplin’s pioneer residents, having come to what was known as Murphysburg in 1872. Five
children were born in the family. While marching in a Knights Templar parade in
downtown Joplin, witnessed by 15,000 people, Peter became prostrated by the heat and
dropped out of the line, fell near his residence, and died a few hours after being taken to his
house. A feeling of gloom was cast over the city as the news of his sickness and death
passed rapidly from lip to lip. Adeline also died at the house 16 years later.
In March 1872, Peter established the Mining News, which was the first newspaper
published in the town. It later was known as the Evening News and then the News Herald.
The paper had a great influence on the early life of Joplin. According to the book, History of
Jasper County 1912, Peter was “…its editor and proprietor, was a good writer and in the
narrative of events as they happened from week to week, told the plain truth, avoiding the
sensational and printing only so much of the news of the under-strata of society as was
necessary to correctly chronicle the happenings of the day.” Editorially he advocated a
better local government and always was on the side of public improvement. After selling
his paper and printing establishment, he was appointed postmaster. Peter was also
engaged in mining.
ARCHITECTURE – The two-and-one-half-story Queen Anne house has a limestone
foundation and a gable-on-hip roof with lower cross-gables. Gabled wings project from the
north, east and south elevations. Hipped and shed roof wings project from the rear (west)
elevation. A full-width hip roof porch spans the primary (east) elevation. It has cast stone
piers with tapered square wood columns and a wood picket railing. This elevation has
three bays. Bay 1 has a single window on each story. Bay 2 has a historic wood panel door
with glazing and a wood panel transom on the first story and a single window on the
second story. The recessed Bay 3 has a single window on each story. A historic fixed, four-
light window pierces the gable end.