Adam S. Scott (1851-1937) married Dora A. Hoop Scott (1859-1940) in Ohio before
coming to Joplin in 1896 or 1898. The couple had five children. Adam was active in
politics, was the mayor of Wellston, Ohio, and a personal friend and supporter of President
William McKinley. He was also one of the founders of the Chillicothe, Hamilton, Dayton
Railroad in Ohio. Once in Joplin, Adam was extensively engaged in mining lead and zinc
and at one point was the Superintendent of the Tennessee Mining Company.
Dora was a schoolteacher before her marriage. She was a member of the Daughters of the
American Revolution, Daughters of Union Veterans of the Civil War, National Congress of
Mothers which later became the National Congress of Parents and Teachers (now the
National PTA), the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union (a liquor prohibition
organization) and many more religious and social organizations.
ARCHITECTURE – The house is an example of the Free Classic subtype of the Queen Anne
style. The house has bay windows, hipped dormers, and two brick chimneys that rise from
the roof ridge. Fluted pilasters articulate each corner of the house. Scrolled brackets and
dentil molding ornament the roofline.
A sleeping porch, with the same fluted pilasters, dentil molding and brackets, projects from
the second story. On the second story, bay 2 has a historic stained-glass window.
On the first story, bay 1 has a historic tripartite wood window with leaded glass in the
upper sash, flanked by narrow one-over-one double-hung wood windows. Bay 2 has a
historic wood panel door with oval glazing. Bay 3 has a historic eight-over-one single-hung
wood Craftsman window.
The side-wrap porch and sleeping porch are historic alterations but do not compromise the
integrity of the house.
710 W. 2 nd Street – The brick building behind the Queen Anne house served as a doctor’s
office and women’s clinic—referred to as soiled doves in that era.