North Heights Neighborhood
When Austin Allen designed this house for Frederick Rogers (1849-1906), he combined several popular architectural styles, which was common in early-day Joplin. The yellow brick house, shaped like a massive box, features a low-pitched hipped roof and a full-width porch. Neoclassical elements, such as modillions beneath the roof and porch cornices were used. Pedimented dormers, Greek columns, quoins, and balustrades dominate the symmetrical façade. The interior of the house is magnificent with hand-carved woodwork imported from Europe, mahogany-paneled dining room and mahogany-beamed ceilings, and leaded windows.
A native of Springfield, Massachusetts, Mr. Rogers pursued a career in the lumber business in Michigan, St. Louis and later in Joplin in 1900. He was an active civic leader and reputedly was one of the first to own an automobile. Sadly, Mr. Rogers died in 1906 shortly after his home was completed.
Mr. Rogers second wife, Mary Evangeline Rogers (1856-1933) and her daughters lived here until 1917. Second owners were William and Edith Cotton Landreth.