HMP believes this structure was designed by Austin Allen based on photographs donated to the Joplin Museum several years ago by a caregiver to the last descendant of Austin Allen.
Regardless of its original designer, this landmark is a must see! It is one of the most attractive, unaltered, restored depots of its kind in Missouri – – – a true hidden jewel.
The depot was part of the Southwest Missouri Railroad Company (see page 14) which was an interurban system that was active in the Tri-State Mining District. The railroad, also called a trolley or streetcar, had a vast network of tracks connecting most mining camps and towns in the mining district running through Carthage, Oronogo, Alba, Webb City, and Joplin. The building was used as a waiting place and had a small concession stand.
The depot closed in 1926 and has been vacant more or less since then. It is currently owned and maintained by the City of Oronogo.